Definition of Beleif
Belief, a word of various application, but properly definable as
that which lies at the heart of a man or a nation's convictions, or is
the heart and soul of all their thoughts and actions, "the thing a man
does practically lay to heart, and know for certain concerning his vital
relations to this mysterious universe, and his duty and destiny there."
Be*lief" (&?;), n. [OE. bileafe,
bileve; cf. AS. geleáfa. See Believe.]
1. Assent to a proposition or affirmation, or the
acceptance of a fact, opinion, or assertion as real or true, without
immediate personal knowledge; reliance upon word or testimony; partial or
full assurance without positive knowledge or absolute certainty;
persuasion; conviction; confidence; as, belief of a witness; the
belief of our senses.
Belief admits of all degrees, from the slightest
suspicion to the fullest assurance.
2. (Theol.) A persuasion of the truths of
No man can attain [to] belief by the bare
contemplation of heaven and earth.
3. The thing believed; the object of
Superstitious prophecies are not only the belief of
fools, but the talk sometimes of wise men.
4. A tenet, or the body of tenets, held by the
advocates of any class of views; doctrine; creed.
In the heat of persecution to which Christian belief
was subject upon its first promulgation.
Ultimate belief, a first principle incapable of
proof; an intuitive truth; an intuition. Sir W. Hamilton.
Syn. -- Credence; trust; reliance; assurance; opinion.
- Webster's Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Mental acceptance of a claim as truth.
- (countable) Something believed.
The ancient people have a belief in many deities.
- (uncountable) The quality or state of believing.
My belief that it will rain tomorrow is strong.
- (uncountable) Religious faith.
She often said it was her belief that carried her through the hard times.
- (plural) One's religious or moral convictions.
I can't do that. It's against my beliefs.
- (process) Wishing a case or circumstance to be true (be + 'lief' --> be + wished).
I recommend a switch from belief to simple being; you need a rest.
- The Nuttall Encyclopedia
You arrived at this page by searching for Beleif
The correct Spelling of this word is: Belief
Thank you for visiting FreeFactFinder. On our home page you will find extensive articles covering
a wide range of topics.